Search This Blog

Friday, March 27, 2009

WHO REALLY NEEDS CHURCH?

I have been a Christian since Dec 15, 1985. During the years since, I have spent most of that time on church staff. I have had great experiences with church and some really hard experiences. Now, understand that when I use the word church I am talking about a local body of believers. There have been times when I have had great faith (trust) in the church and times that I almost lost my faith (trust) in the church. It has been a vacillating relationship. Right now I am having one of the best times of my life in my relationship with the church and especially with Lord of the Harvest. This week I have been building my sermon for Sunday and guess what my topic is - CHURCH. I have gained a much deeper appreciation for the local church during this study. I have a couple of quotes that are part of my sermon I want to share. 

J.F. Powers wrote in Wheat that Springeth Green, "This is a big old ship, Bill, She creaks, she rocks, she rolls, and at times she makes you want to throw up. But she gets where she is going. Always has , always will, until the end of  time. With or without you."

Archbishop William Temple said, "The church is the only cooperative society in the world that exist for the benefit of its non-members."

Brian Kay in The Relevant Church wrote, "It is impossible to be a follower of Christ and not be part of a local church."

St. Cyprian put it this way, "No one can have God as FAther who does not also have the church as Mother."

These are very high opinions of the church. We all know that Christ had a high view of the church as did the Apostle Paul. They saw the church as a living organism not an organization with its rules and codes. They did not speak of denominations or divisions in a positive nature. The body of Christ is His way to reach and teach a lost and dying world. A world in an amazing amount of hurt, uncertainty, confusion and chaos. The Church should be bringing answers to a world that has many questions. Answers of hope and future. Not answers of despair. The Church has a high calling. Let us, all churches and especially Lord of the Harvest, be Christ to the world. Your world is your sphere of influence. Let us work together to create and enable fully functioning followers of Jesus Christ. 

Who really needs church? Well, for one, I do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment