Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Ingrown Christians


Today I address the Barna Research Megatrend of 2010 number 2 (please read the article).

2. Christians are becoming more ingrown and less outreach-oriented.

I agree. What I do find is that people find it easier to talk with someone they do not know about Christ and Christianity than the people they know. I do agree that the Christian community is “becoming more ingrown and less outreach-oriented”. It is easier to just hang out with my Christian friends, for they are cleaner. Here is what I mean. What if I go out to dinner with one of my unchurched friends (if I even have one) and they order a beer? Or a glass of wine? I have heard people say they would never let that happen. So, here is the conclusion of most Christians. If unchurched people are going to act unchurched then we just choose to skip it – it’s just too messy. I hate this about us. What are we scared of?

Here is a short story of Jesus. Read it.

Mark 2:15–17 (ESV)
15 And as he reclined at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners were reclining with Jesus and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16 And the scribes of the Pharisees, when they saw that he was eating with sinners and tax collectors, said to his disciples, “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?” 17 And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”

No comments:

Post a Comment