Search This Blog

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Desiring God Directionally

Desiring God Directionally has a component that is necessary for the perfect rhythm of God to be enjoyed. That is putting Christ in His place. Surrender is putting Christ in His rightful place in one’s life. He is to be the conductor of one’s life. He is to have the head seat at the table. He is to be the captain of the ship. Whatever way you choose to put it, give Him his rightful position of Lord and God, Yahweh and Elohim, Mighty Friend, Mighty Savior, Mighty God.

Do you feel it? I can feel it. I know people who feel it. I see people who feel it. What does it feel like? Love! Grace! Mercy! Hope! What is it? It is God drawing me to Himself. It is Him doing what I have tried to do myself without success. It is what happens when Christ is put in His place. When we surrender that position we cannot stop it. He draws us in. We have the right through Christ to approach God (Heb 4:16). But it is only He who can incline my heart to Him. I can incline my ear (Ps 49:4). I can ask God to incline His ear to me (Ps 17:6, 31:2). However, He alone can incline, draw, expand one’s heart to Himself (John 6:44).

When that happens God begins to give one direction. Most of us have desired God directionally. We have prayed the prayers, “God, show me what I ought to do.” “God, I want to know your will.” “God, who should I date?” “God, which is the right job?” We have all been there. Even those who do not desire God positionally will find themselves desiring God directionally. I think it was Elizabeth Elliott who said, “When God’s will (direction) and mine collide, someone has to die”. In Experiencing God Henry Blackaby says that God speaks through the Bible, prayer, the Holy Spirit, the church, and circumstances. The key is that God does speak. Jesus said that He had to leave so that the Holy Spirit could come (John 16:7). Well, Jesus went and the Holy Spirit came (Acts 1-2). One part of the Holy Spirits long job description is that He gives us direction (John 14:26). Jesus even said that it was better that He went and the Holy Spirit came (John 16:7). God wants to give me and you direction today. Put Christ in His place today and enjoy God inclining your heart to Him. Here is a verse on direction that I feel in love with in 2004. 

"And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, 'This is the way, walk in it,' when you trun to the right or when you turn to the left." Isaiah 30:21

No comments:

Post a Comment