Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Brain On A Chain - Free


I am going to make Tuesday’s “Brain on a Chain” day in my blog. We must put our brains on a chain. We can chase some of the most crazy things in our mind. So today, I being this weekly series with a look at “How do we find our yes?” This morning God reinforced a strong passage in my devotion time. I love the devotional My Utmost for His Highest” by Oswald Chambers. Today, the verse that began today’s devotion was, “All the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen” (2 Cor 1:20). There are times we will hear someone say, “I just believe” when speaking about something they want or need in their life. Others will say, “I have faith” while others still will stay “Just have faith”. He is what I believe about those statements. What if I say, “I have faith to believe that if I jump off this building I will not get hurt” or “I just believe that God is going to do this for me”. Does that mean they “will not get hurt” or that “God is going to”? I do not believe so. So, were do we find our “yes” as this verse says. Let’s break this verse down:

“For all the

Promises

of God

Find their Yes

In Him”

All : the whole amount, quantity, or extent of.

Promises - a : a declaration that one will do or refrain from doing something specified b : a legally binding declaration that gives the person to whom it is made a right to expect or to claim the performance or forbearance of a specified act

God: the Greek is theos meaning the only and true God.

Find their yes: their surety is discovered

In Him: the Greek here is autos which is saying “in Myself”.

So, I can without a doubt put my faith, trust and belief in ALL the legally binding declarations that the only true God has given me. They will all be “Yes”.

Here is an example:

We have all said, heard and sang the line “the truth will set you free”. So, I can say that I have faith that the truth will set me free based on that statement alone. Well, I got good news for you that is not true. Let us read this in its context and see what the real promise of God is and where it finds its yes.

1 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

The chain here is God’s Word. So, don’t let your brain go where the Word does not take it. The truth of this passage is:

“If you abide in my Word, you are truly my disciples” that is an action on our part to know and live the Word thus demonstrating that we are His disciples. When that happens “you will know the truth”. Consequently, your behavior changes because you abide in the Word and the truth is evident. It is then, and only then, that the truth will set you free. So the key is “ABIDING”. Today, keep your brain on a chain.

No comments:

Post a Comment