Search This Blog

Thursday, July 8, 2010

27 and Counting

Well, today Mary Anne and I have been married for 27 years. It seems like I am not old enough to have been married that long. I kid with people and say we have been happily married for 25 years. Well, that might be right. There have probably been 2 years that were tough. How have we made it 27 years in marriage? Here is my take and I have lived it.

  1.  Remember marriage is a covenant relationship.
  2. SAY the words “I LOVE YOU” and DEMONSTRATE “I LOVE YOU” as often as you get the chance.
  3. Remember the grass “on the other side” is really over a septic tank.
  4. Remember you get out of a marriage what you put into a marriage.
  5. As my uncle told me upon our engagement, “Marriage is like a hot tub of water. The longer you are in it the colder it gets.” My advice on that is to keep adding hot water.
  6. It’s popular on many signs but not in many lives but make sure you spend time living, laughing and loving.
  7.  Remember it’s worth the fight.
  8. Go on dates (you and your kids will survive time away from each other).
  9. Sex with one person your whole life is really good no matter what people may say.
  10. Have sex even when you do not feel like it.
  11.  If you have kids, they need you to stay together and in love.

There is more I could say and I’m sure I missed some really important stuff but it has worked.

P.S. I love you Mary Anne Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment